Thursday, July 22, 2004

Fahling for Mary

Mary Fahl would most likely have her albums categorized as New Age, though how it’s defined is anybody’s guess. I first heard her singing ‘Going Home’ a haunting tune that was the theme song of Gods and Generals, a mini-series about the American Civil War.
It was her voice.
Low, earthy timbre, almost brooding.
I got goose bumps listening to it.
It's been a long time since a singer did that to me. Imagine Diana Krall and Annie Lennox reborn, reconstituted as one.
Found out that she was lead vocalist with a band called October Project. 2 albums later (last one 1995) they’ve all gone solo, but their CDs remain much sought after even today. Mary’s first solo album The Other Side of Me (2003) isn’t available locally so it’s Amazon.com to the rescue. I thought I placed a double order, one OP and one MF, but the good people at Amazon couriered 2 OP instead.

No comments: